Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Challenging

This week was a somewhat tough week at the Brooks' house.  As mentioned before, Braelyn was scheduled for surgery on Tuesday to have her ear tubes replaced and her adenoids taken out.  Before that, I had already scheduled her 2 year well child check up for Monday.  I figured we might as well go ahead and get it all over with!  Monday morning rolled around and we were hurrying to get out the door.  Every time I looked up, Emerson was laying in the floor.  I kept asking her what was wrong and she would just tell me that she was still tired.  I told her that I was sorry but that we had to hurry to get to Braelyn's appointment.  We raced out the door and got in the drive thru line at Shipley's to pick up some doughnut holes.  While we were waiting I looked back and Em just looked terrible and then told me her tummy hurt.  We got the doughnuts and got a little ways down the road and she then said the words you never want to hear: "I need to throw up"!  I quickly pulled into the HEB parking lot and pulled her out of the car just in the nick of time.  I had no idea what to do.  It was 15 minutes before Braelyn's scheduled appointment...not the ideal time to call and cancel.  Emerson was so sweet and told me that we could go ahead.  When we got to the doctor they gave us a bucket just in case.  Wouldn't you know that this would be the time that Braelyn reverted back to her old ways of screaming if somebody just looked at her.  The nurse and I had to actually lay on top of her to measure her!  Shots were going to be fun!  Right about the time Dr. Fershtman got done examining her and I got her calmed down, the nurse came in to give her a shot right when Em started throwing up!  I thought I was going to cry!  Thankfully Dr. Fershtman said that developmentally Braelyn was doing great and that hopefully after her surgery the next day, she would start feeling better and therefore eating better.  She was 25 pounds(26%) and 34 1/2 inches(65%).  While her weight was in the lower percentile, he was not concerned because that is pretty much where she has fallen since birth. 
Thankfully Emerson started feeling much better by lunchtime.  We were good to go by the time it was time for Braelyn's surgery.  Daddy and Emerson waited in the waiting room while I went back to get her prepped for surgery.  The surgery was a success and the hilarious thing was, the only reason Braelyn was super fired up afterwards was because of the IV in her hand.  She was so mad, she decided to just take it out herself!  The nurse realized that she was not going to calm down until the IV was gone so she started taking off the bandages.  The error came when she let go of her hand after getting the tape off.  That was the opportunity Braelyn was looking for...before I knew it that little hand was flying and out came the blood!  After we got over all that, got her home, and got a good 2 hour nap, you would never know she had had surgery-thank you God for the resilience of children!

Enjoying a post-op snocone looking pretty traumatized, huh?!

Just chillin', playing Angry Birds!

No comments: