Monday, October 13, 2014

One Meaning

Over the last few weeks I have learned that most words only have one meaning in the mind of kids.  A couple of examples...
Emerson-
Pledge:  What you say in the morning at school while facing the flag
It would have really helped to understand that this was her only understanding of the word "pledge" as we set out to raise money for her Boosterthon Fun Run.  When she came home the first night with her packet, we were all set and ready to make some calls to get "pledges" for her run.  Before we called Gransan, she kept saying  over and over "but Mom, you haven't gotten the flags for Gransan yet!!".  I had NO idea what she was talking about and I am not sure why, but all of a sudden it clicked...she did not at all understand what it meant to ask for "pledges".  In her mind she was asking Gransan to say the pledge, so you naturally need a flag before she could do that!  Once I realized, I was then able to explain that the word has more than one meaning!

Braelyn-
Accident:  What happens when you don't make it to the potty in time
Braelyn and I were on our way to her school after we had dropped Emerson off when all of a sudden I gasped.  Braelyn said "What Mom?"  I said, "Oh baby, there was just a bad accident."  She then said, "EEEWWW, why somebody potty in road?!"  I was completely stumped and then much like the pledge, all of a sudden something clicked!  I realized that more times than not when we talk to her about an "accident", she has had an oops moment when she was just way too busy to stop for the potty!

No comments: